httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: bucket brigades and IOL
Date Sat, 13 Nov 1999 20:43:58 GMT
"Roy T. Fielding" wrote:
> Anyway, that was stuck in the back of my head and had to get out.
> I won't be able to work on it until after the dissertation is done,
> which every day seems to be further away.  Maybe 3.0, with rHTTP/2.0.

I've got to say that this is the most coherent suggestion along these
lines that I've seen yet. I rather like it. One thing I'd add is that if
you are going to have a movable "start of block" pointer, and changeable
length, it can be nice to allocate extra around the edges under some
circumstances, so that lower layers can expand the block without having
to add extra chunks.

Also, the usual objections still apply - i.e. it is awkward to do things
like searching for particular strings, since they may cross boundaries.
I'm beginning to think that the right answer to this is to provide nice
matching functions that know about the chunked structures, and last
resort functions that'll glue it all back into one chunk...

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html