httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: OFF TOPIC: Any general apache administration mail lists?
Date Sat, 13 Nov 1999 20:39:24 GMT
Jeremy Hansen wrote:

> Again, if this is what I need to do, then I guess I will, but I'dd like to
> hear more feedback.  Also I'm confused as to what you say about LockFile.
> This is what the docs read:
>
> The main reason for changing it is if the logs directory is NFS mounted,
> since the lockfile must be stored on a local disk. The PID of the main
> server process is automatically appended to the filename.

I think you are completely missing the point here ... the lock file is
used (when it is used at all) to serialise the accept() function, which
some OSes don't like having multiple processes use at the same time on
the same socket. It has _absolutely nothing to do with logs_, except
that by default it goes in the same directory.

Logfiles are simply not locked. They're written with a single write(),
which is assumed to be atomic. I have no doubt that under NFS it ain't.

> This sound like what I'm doing, is it not?  Also like I said, using
> USE_FCNTL_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT I see no httpd.lock file created, I only see
> it with USE_FLOCK_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT.

ISTR httpd.lock is unlinked with fcntl(), but can't be with flock(). But
I could be wrong.

Cheers,

Ben.

--