httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <>
Subject Re: axe proxy support from 2.0?
Date Fri, 12 Nov 1999 08:29:30 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:

> This came up a while back, and there is actually an item in the STATUS
> file, apparently (Manoj said so :-), but why do we still have the proxy
> support in Apache? It seems like it has a largish number of bugs and is
> pretty orthogonal to the rest of Apache. Can't we just axe it and refer
> people to Squid?
> It seems like there are sufficient alternatives in the open-source world
> that we shouldn't try to pretend to be proxy developers...

Aaaargh - no! Don't you dare... (much pleading, etc).

The proxy module is one of the primary reasons why we ditched most of
our previous Netscape installation and switched to Apache.

Apache seems to be the only server in existance that builds it's reverse
proxy support into the webserver, rather than hacking reverse proxy
support into forward proxies like NS Proxy server and Squid. This makes
an *enormous* difference, because it means we can use all the good
features of Apache (like split log files, virtual hosts, etc) while at
the same time plugging in all the weird proprietry stuff that we've
inherited, like ASP scripts, Ultraseek search engine, Livewire, etc etc
into our website where required.

As a result we have served natively by Apache, served by Ultraseek, and served by IIS, all under one virtual
host. This is an unmanagable setup using a pure forward proxy like
Netscape Proxy server (we tried it).

Perhaps if the proxy module were to be streamlined, it could become an
abstraction of the file layer that currently exists in Apache. On a
typical webserver a normal file and an executable program are two
sources of data that can be served to clients. The reverse proxy code
adds HTTP and FTP URLs to these data sources, and are incredibly useful
for plugging in weird setups into your website that would otherwise
require messy redirects to accomplish.

					over Bourbon Street

View raw message