httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Simple Object Access Protocol
Date Sun, 07 Nov 1999 13:25:03 GMT
Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 05, 1999 at 11:49:12AM -0800, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > um, this is still as stupid as trying to prevent porn from going across a
> > firewall.  there is absolutely no difference.  it's all just bits.
>
> On Sat, Nov 06, 1999 at 09:46:44PM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > Err? If I want, I can run anything on any port. If anyone wants to try
> > to restrict traffic on untrusted servers on the basis of port numbers
> > then they need their head examining.
>
> I'm not going to even try to defend the way firewalls do and don't
> work, or what means firewalls use to block traffic.
>
> But this argument can be turned around.  Designing a protocol with the
> explicit purpose of fooling a firewall is silly. If a firewall's
> policies are silly, the solution is to change the policies, not to
> standardize protocols to fool the firewall. Unless the goal is some
> sort of political crusade to show how silly firewalls are sometimes.
> But somehow, I'm guessing that's not Microsoft's goal here.
>
> If the admins seriously don't want to let this sort of stuff through,
> and they have any competance, SOAP will eventually be blocked anyway.
> So what's the point?

I'm not going to argue with that, however, I suspect that MS are
designing a protocol for an environment that would only ever be found
where there are people silly enough to think that using SOAP is a good
idea.

>From where I'm sitting, it won't work any better than any other RPC
mechanism through my firewalls, because it'll be blocked (no, not by
port number) where it might be running, and not running where it isn't
blocked.

Cheers,

Ben.

--