httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Simple Object Access Protocol
Date Sat, 06 Nov 1999 21:46:44 GMT
Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 04, 1999 at 08:14:42AM -0800, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > what exactly is "web information" ?  i can put whatever i want on a "web
> > page".  information is just bits.  what you're saying sounds a lot like
> > saying fetching porn is a security hole which firewall vendors should be
> > fixing.
>
> SOAP (from what I've read) is an attempt to shoehorn arbitrary
> client-server protocols into port 80 connactions, for the explicit
> purpose of circumventing firewalls. Of course anything can be sent via
> port 80 or through HTTP, but it's not really done commonly right now,
> and that makes the lives of firewall coders and admins far easier,
> because people aren't installing programs on their desktops to do
> this. If SOAP were to become common, then the firewall admins would be
> pushed into blocking port 80 completely or putting in fancier (and
> slower) filters.

Err? If I want, I can run anything on any port. If anyone wants to try
to restrict traffic on untrusted servers on the basis of port numbers
then they need their head examining. Firewalls are for protecting
trusted servers, not enforcing contracts with your staff. Jeez.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html