httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian <apa...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: using ACE for the APR layer WAS Re: fyi: Cosm Project
Date Mon, 08 Nov 1999 21:10:07 GMT
At 01:17 PM 11/08/1999 -0500, Ryan Bloom wrote:

>Yes, I looked at ACE not long after returning from Linux Expo much earlier
>this year.  It was the one in March I think.  ACE has some nice features,
>but it doesn't fit what we want.
>
>ACE is completely written in C++, which has stirred up more than one
>discussion on this list.

true.. so it kinda rules it out then does it?

> It is also MUCH more than Apache needs, for
>example all the CORBA stuff.  And it doesn't have everything we need, for
>example the ability to call native API's.

ACE doesn't have CORBA, there is a product called 'TAO' which uses 'ACE'
which is the
CORBA orb.

as far The native APIs goes, they do the same thing APR is going to do,
they wrap them up
with and depending on the OS you compile against it will use the
corresponding ones.

they also have ACE::OS which has some OS specific things in it. (I
think..its been a while)

>The biggest strike against it was the C++.  It has been almost a year
>since I really looked at ACE though, so I can't remember the exact reason
>for not using it instead of creating APR.  If you really want me to, I
>could download a newer version, and look at it again.
>
>Ryan

instead of downloading it, you may want to pose the Question on the ACE
newsgroup, with your
concerns.
of course, if there is a Zero chance for C++, then it is a moot point.

..Ian