httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/modules/standard mod_rewrite.c
Date Sat, 27 Nov 1999 15:16:28 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.4.10.9911270229560.18236-100000@nebula.lyra.org> you wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Nov 1999, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>> Yeah, you're right. I've tried now both the old complicated function and the
>> new one and both are fine. Hmmmm... nevertheless I'm really wondering what the
>> reason was that I wrote the function in a such a complicated way for
>> mod_rewrite (I had it in the simpler form originally). It was certainly not
>> just for fun (because I hate such ugly fiddling myself). So, there _had to be_
>> a good reason in the past. Too bad that this was already years ago and at a
>> time where mod_rewrite was not staying in CVS. But I no longer can remember,
>> so let's see what happens... if it fails, we can revert it again to the ugly
>> form, of course.  Thanks for your efforts, Greg.
>
> Did you possibly need both integer and string forms at one point? I can
> easily see using the printf if you needed a string. I couldn't see a
> reason for it either :-), but figured it was there for some (historical)
> reason. Best I came up with, was string variables or somesuch.

Hmmm... yes, this could be the case. Perhaps in the original code actually I
needed a string and the ugly form of the function was more or less a hang over
which just survived cleanups. But I have to admit that even after thinking
about this today I was not able to swap in the actual reason from my medulla.

> p.s. I'm assuming the policy is to not patch 2.0 at the same time, since
> we'll probably want to do a sweep of all changes since the last tag (and
> haphazardly patching one or two things over would make that job tougher)

Yes.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com