httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/modules/standard mod_rewrite.c
Date Sat, 27 Nov 1999 09:42:56 GMT

In article <19991126193123.19773.qmail@hyperreal.org> you wrote:
> gstein      99/11/26 11:31:23

>   The floating point rounding performed by the ap_snprintf() was throwing
>   off the distribution of the random value. The much simpler forms works
>   just as well, and provides a normal distribution.

Yeah, you're right. I've tried now both the old complicated function and the
new one and both are fine. Hmmmm... nevertheless I'm really wondering what the
reason was that I wrote the function in a such a complicated way for
mod_rewrite (I had it in the simpler form originally). It was certainly not
just for fun (because I hate such ugly fiddling myself). So, there _had to be_
a good reason in the past. Too bad that this was already years ago and at a
time where mod_rewrite was not staying in CVS. But I no longer can remember,
so let's see what happens... if it fails, we can revert it again to the ugly
form, of course.  Thanks for your efforts, Greg.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com