httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: Pause to Consider
Date Thu, 25 Nov 1999 20:10:24 GMT

In article <Pine.WNT.4.21.9911250615540.-473853@lithium.jetpen.com> you wrote:

>> Yes, how do you plan to address the apxs issue? That is, how to you plan to
>> integrate your Autoconf approach with the functionality of the old "build
>> modules externally [via apxs]"? Currently it looks to me you've still not
>> thought about this, because you have direct references between your Autoconf
>> stuff and the modules (you do a "cat *.m4" mainly).  This breaks for modules
>> which should be configured and built externally.
>
> Well, we have actually thought about it.  I don't quite understand why you
> think the "cat *.m4" stuff would break apxs in any way.

Because what do you want do with *.m4 files outside the source tree? The
end user doesn't have any development tools like Autoconf, Automake,
m4, etc. installed. So you cannot even bootstrap and create a local
configure script there. For this reason it's important that modules are
really stand-alone. And one implication is that you can't just merge
*.m4 files into a global configure.in.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com