httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: Pause to Consider
Date Thu, 25 Nov 1999 20:06:54 GMT

In article <199911251545.KAA17036@devsys.jaguNET.com> you wrote:

> How about we just implement autoconf the best we can at present. We
> have enough people here who can adjust it once it's in place. If it's
> Manoj then I say let him go at it! :)
>
> I agree that a seperate CVS tree most likely isn't the way to go.
> Let's just say 'damn them torpeedees' and start folding this
> is. I'm personally not overjoyed by the use of autoconf, but I'm
> even less overjoyed by the fact that we're delaying coding because
> of concerns over autoconf or how to best implement it. If there's
> stuff in it that I don't like, I'll fix it. Same for everyone else.
> If the tool suites out purpose, then let's use it unless (1) it
> severly limits portability or (2) we could do a better job ourselves.
> Once we start implementing the autoconf suite, we may discover items
> that we could do better ourselves, or it may work like a dream.
> Let's see.

Ok, ok.... I know this situation best from the past. There others
complained if I wanted to drop in something. So I really understand that
Manoj and others want to not delay the coding anymore and so have to
dislike my complains. So, ok, please go for it. Although I'm -1 for the
current development approach here, I really don't want to be the killjoy
or the reason for any delay. I can't convince us to do it differently, so
it is certainly better to let the development flow as it currently is
instead of trying to throttle it. Sorry that I nerved with my concern.
I at least will still try to contribute from time to time my experience
with such build environment stuff while you're coding...

Yours,
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com