httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: Pause to Consider
Date Thu, 25 Nov 1999 03:29:38 GMT
Greg and Rasmus covered much of what I'd like to say.

On Wed, Nov 24, 1999 at 11:20:17AM -0000, David Reid wrote:
> So, I guess what I want is for Manoj and Ryan (and all those who've helped)
> to write down how the planned autoconf system will work.

Search the archives, I think from late last week. I posted a response
to Ralf's request with as much design info as I had. There hasn't been
any significant change since then. Other than that, I think the code
speaks for itself best. Any questions you'd like answered?

I'm okay with not committing the changes for a while, but I don't
think it helps anyone. Committing the files to the repository doesn't
mean we've committed to autoconf. We can always cvs rm the files if
we've decided the experiment was a total failure. And, I'm trying to
make sure the old configuration scripts still work, at least for now,
so we won't have lost any utility there.

My main motivation for committing the files quickly is so that other
people can start changing them. Rasmus has some small nits which are
really fixed most easily through CVS.

The only reason I can think of to not commit the files is that my
methodology is significantly flawed, and we'd have a really ugly
script set hanging around in the repository, being an embarassment to
me forever. :) That's why I'm asking everyone for comments.

If people want a delay (speak up!), I'll wait, but otherwise, assuming
my net access isn't too sporadic while I'm here (Framingham), I'll
commit the changes in the next couple of days.

"I mean how can a punk be cyber?" - Bruce Sterling