httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: Duplicate code.
Date Fri, 19 Nov 1999 20:33:28 GMT
On Fri, Nov 19, 1999 at 03:03:45PM -0500, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> Every MPM has a section for ap_thread_mutex functions.  None of them are
> used as near as I can tell.  We never once in ANY of the MPM's call
> ap_thread_mutex_new.  The code is useless and it's duplicated.

The original purpose of those calls was to allow the core code to
make mutex calls around critical sections when using a threaded MPM,
and to not try to do so otherwise, e.g. prefork.  IIRC, this was only
used in alloc.c. When the server was moved to APR pools, those
functions didn't get deleted. Go ahead and do it now.

This reminds me, does APR work on systems without threads and locks
yet?

> MPM tree, and didn't get a chance to finish it.  MPM's
> should be tiny things.  They should implement VERY VERY little.

I'm a very big fan of MPMs being small. But, for example, the Windows
MPM has to have special socket handling code to do its cool
asynchronous I/O features. Eventually (after 2.0 I think), when I or
someone else starts putting select-based serving into the Unix MPMs,
they will have to do more than just thread and process handling.