httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: src/helpers/binbuild.sh
Date Fri, 19 Nov 1999 19:49:12 GMT
On Fri, Nov 19, 1999 at 03:09:11PM +0200, Eli Marmor wrote:
> The following patch helps "src/helpers/binbuild.sh" to build a much
> smaller tar.gz file.

Your patch essentially eliminates the source tree from the binary
tarball, right? The source is included on purpose; and yes, this has
been argued back and forth before. The anti-includers think it's a
waste to bundle source for people who will never use it; the
pro-includers disagree.

> In addition, it will be very useful and flexible to add
> "$XTRA_CONFIGPARAM_FLAGS" to the definition of "CONFIGPARAM=" (line
> 10); It will allow builders to add their own special build flags
> without modifying src/helpers/binbuild.sh.

If special flags are required to make a build complete properly, they
should be put into Apache proper, so that people compiling from source
don't have to worry about them. In any other case, all that would
serve to do is reduce the consistency of the binary builds, so I'm
against it.