httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: OFF TOPIC: Any general apache administration mail lists?
Date Sun, 14 Nov 1999 16:15:34 GMT
On Sun, Nov 14, 1999 at 10:16:00AM -0500, Jeremy Hansen wrote:
> I understand what you're saying.  Could you explain reason why the logs
> writes are *not* locked?

Because they don't have to be. Writes of a certain length are
guaranteed to be atomic. I can't speak for the enjoyable experience
that is NFS, though.

It's not worth the slowdown to lock logs before writing a log entry.
And I believe Apache would have to close and reopen the log file for
every sinle entry for this to work, which is completely insane.

As many people have said already, use separate logs on each server and
combine them before doing log analysis.

> Now I need to write ugly scripts to combine log files

cat log1 log2 log3 > newlog

Log files are also not guaranteed to be ordered, so if your log
analyzer requires that, you'd have to write a script to sort the
entries anyway.

> and it pretty much throws a lot of the
> functionality of WebTrends' auto scheduling and updating out the window
> unless I have my logs sync every 15 minutes.

If this is important to you, use a piped logger which sends all
entries to a central machine for writing.