httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: ANNOUNCE: GNU Portable Threads (Pth) 1.2.0 released
Date Fri, 12 Nov 1999 15:13:40 GMT

In article <19991112023801.B8462@io.com> you wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 1999 at 07:32:42AM -0800, Scott Hess wrote:
>> It seems to me that this only works so long as your modules are written
>> with cooperative multithreading in mind.
>
> My understanding is that the pthreads spec doesn't require preemptive
> scheduling, so a program designed to run on any pthreads-standard
> system has to deal with this case.

Yes, that's correct, too. Pthreads is mainly a specification of a
multithreading API. And it does not require an implementation to be
preemptive.

> I might be confusing pthreads with Java, though; I haven't found any
> statement one way or the other on this for pthreads.

AFAIK Java originally is based on a proprietary library named Green Threads
and not a Pthread library. That perhaps might be the reason why one doesn't
see much statements about the relationship of Java and Pthreads. At least it's
correct that with non-preemptive threading Java programs will usually not run
as expected, because they usually implicitly assume preemptive threading. BTW,
does anybody know whether Java requires the threading facility to be
preemptive or whether it also doesn't specifiy a requirement? Would
be just interesting to know...

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com