httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Hall <mh...@riverside.org>
Subject Re: axe proxy support from 2.0?
Date Fri, 12 Nov 1999 20:58:51 GMT
On Fri, Nov 12, 1999 at 09:29:30AM +0100, Graham Leggett wrote:

> Greg Stein wrote:
>
> > This came up a while back, and there is actually an item in the STATUS
> > file, apparently (Manoj said so :-), but why do we still have the proxy
> > support in Apache? It seems like it has a largish number of bugs and is
> > pretty orthogonal to the rest of Apache. Can't we just axe it and refer
> > people to Squid?
> >
> > It seems like there are sufficient alternatives in the open-source world
> > that we shouldn't try to pretend to be proxy developers...
>
> Aaaargh - no! Don't you dare... (much pleading, etc).

  Just a quick introduction, I've been lurking on the list, compiling and
playing with the 2.0 CVS snapshots. I'm not a programmer so I can't contribute
anything in that respect (fortunately if you saw how I mangle C :-) but as
a long time Apache and mod-perl user I'm naturally interested in following
new developments.
  Anyway, hadn't planned on jumping in yet being new but as an Apache,
mod_perl user I also have to say I'd like to see some incarnation of mod_
proxy. A lot of us use a two server setup with a standard light-weight
Apache setup using mod-rewrite (or ProxyPass) and ReverseProxyPass as a
front-end for the heavy-weight Apache/mod_perl backend.

--
If Limbaugh is the answer, it must be a stupid question.

Mike Hall <mhall@riverside.org>, ICQ: #37292579, http://www.riverside.org
System Administrator (MH993) (*nix, OS/2 certified - C, Perl, CGI hacker)