httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: Moving reliable piped logs into APR
Date Thu, 11 Nov 1999 21:42:57 GMT
On Thu, Nov 11, 1999 at 11:24:51AM -0500, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> I just want to move the logic that allows us to register a sub-process as
> an important process.  I am not suggesting that any of this is used in APR
> calls.

ap_note_subprocess is already in APR. I guess you're talking about the
code to restart a process when it dies?

> Moving this logic down to APR doesn't have any influence of when it's
> used.  Could you explain why you think the application needs to have
> control of how it's implemented?

Because the decision about when to restart a logging process and when
to give up on it is an application-level decision. If a piped logger
dies 3 times after only staying alive 1 second, do we bother to
restart it again? Maybe 5 segfaults is the right number to give up at.
Do certain types of death mean our behavior will change? SIGTERM
probably should always result in the process starting again, because
that's what the admin wanted. This might not be true for SIGSEGV.

I don't think APR should get in the business of making policy
decisions.