httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: Simple Object Access Protocol
Date Sun, 07 Nov 1999 02:58:35 GMT

On Sat, Nov 06, 1999 at 09:46:44PM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Err? If I want, I can run anything on any port. If anyone wants to try
> to restrict traffic on untrusted servers on the basis of port numbers
> then they need their head examining.

I'm not going to even try to defend the way firewalls do and don't
work, or what means firewalls use to block traffic.

But this argument can be turned around.  Designing a protocol with the
explicit purpose of fooling a firewall is silly. If a firewall's
policies are silly, the solution is to change the policies, not to
standardize protocols to fool the firewall. Unless the goal is some
sort of political crusade to show how silly firewalls are sometimes.
But somehow, I'm guessing that's not Microsoft's goal here.

If the admins seriously don't want to let this sort of stuff through,
and they have any competance, SOAP will eventually be blocked anyway.
So what's the point?