httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: bug in chunked encoding on HEADs
Date Sun, 07 Nov 1999 02:05:59 GMT
>I'm afraid I don't quite understand.  What sort of broken behaviour would
>it lead to?

Misinterpretation by client readers expecting (incorrectly) to receive
chunks after a chunked transfer-encoding.  That is far more likely than
anyone other than a spec lawyer to care whether the HEAD response
contains transfer-encoding or not.

>2616 says:
>
>   The HEAD method is identical to GET except that the server MUST NOT
>   return a message-body in the response. The metainformation contained
>   in the HTTP headers in response to a HEAD request SHOULD be identical
>   to the information sent in response to a GET request. This method can
>   be used for obtaining metainformation about the entity implied by the
>   request without transferring the entity-body itself. This method is
>   often used for testing hypertext links for validity, accessibility,
>   and recent modification.
>
>Where does that allow for different message headers between a HEAD and
>GET?  HEAD doesn't return a mesasge-body (and, by implication, it doesn't

Transfer-Encoding does not supply metainformation (stuff about the entity).

....Roy