httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Galbavy <Peter.Galb...@knowledge.com>
Subject Re: Simple Object Access Protocol
Date Thu, 04 Nov 1999 16:30:36 GMT
On Thu, Nov 04, 1999 at 08:14:42AM -0800, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> what exactly is "web information" ?  i can put whatever i want on a "web
> page".  information is just bits.  what you're saying sounds a lot like
> saying fetching porn is a security hole which firewall vendors should be
> fixing.

While I agree with you in principle, I think that the point the
original poster was trying to put across was that "SOAP" is just
another way of using an information transfer medium to move
application programs (ala Java and other scriptiong languages) but
maybe with a different aim.

The security issue is that of providing a backdoor that the client and
server both use, without the consent of the security policy / admins
on a site - usually without the client actually knowing that they are
breaking some policy. Just look at the appaling ActiveX controls...

I may be teaching my cynical grandmother to suck eggs here of course.

Regards,
--
Peter Galbavy
Knowledge Matters Ltd