httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: Simple Object Access Protocol
Date Thu, 04 Nov 1999 17:59:15 GMT
On Thu, Nov 04, 1999 at 08:14:42AM -0800, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> what exactly is "web information" ?  i can put whatever i want on a "web
> page".  information is just bits.  what you're saying sounds a lot like
> saying fetching porn is a security hole which firewall vendors should be
> fixing.

SOAP (from what I've read) is an attempt to shoehorn arbitrary
client-server protocols into port 80 connactions, for the explicit
purpose of circumventing firewalls. Of course anything can be sent via
port 80 or through HTTP, but it's not really done commonly right now,
and that makes the lives of firewall coders and admins far easier,
because people aren't installing programs on their desktops to do
this. If SOAP were to become common, then the firewall admins would be
pushed into blocking port 80 completely or putting in fancier (and
slower) filters.

Of course, I curse at firewalls almost daily, so it does not break my
heart to see protocols that work around them.