httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David Reid" <ab...@dial.pipex.com>
Subject Pause to Consider
Date Wed, 24 Nov 1999 11:20:17 GMT
Guys,

This isn't meant as an attack on anyone...

But, can we all take a few moments to consider what's going on with the
autoconf stuff?

I think we all agree that it's a huge change and one we need to be very very
careful about how we do it.  Manoj has done some good work on laying a
foundation but in truth how many people can say they're 100% with him on all
of his intentions/plans?

There are a number of people on this list who have done battle with autoconf
a number of times and have a great deal of experience to bring to the
discussion.  I know people need to code and without the code we wouldn't
have a server, but with such a huge far-reaching change we need to be sure
we're doing it the right way.  Apache 2.0 will be around for a number of
years and the work done now will be with us for at least that long.  Several
people have pointed out that we need to have code that we can maintain over
that period.

So, I guess what I want is for Manoj and Ryan (and all those who've helped)
to write down how the planned autoconf system will work.  This can then be
discussed and everyone who knows about autoconf can give their opinion and
do their usual job on it.  I'd suggest we set a time period for the
discussions, say 72 hours.

I know this seems drastic but all the discussions on this group over the
last couple of days seem to point to it being necessary.  We don't need to
rush into doing something that we'll regret for a number of years...

d.