httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <stodd...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: faster malloc for multithreaded programs
Date Mon, 01 Nov 1999 22:50:15 GMT
> Rasmus Lerdorf <rasmus@apache.org> writes:
>
> > Well, this discussion probably belongs on the license list, but I have
> > been through the LGPL a few times now trying to figure out if I could
> > include LGPL'ed stuff in PHP and it is much too vague in my opinion.
> >
> > Like this clause:
> >
> >   When a "work that uses the Library" uses material from a header file
> >   that is part of the Library, the object code for the work may be a
> >   derivative work of the Library even though the source code is not.
> >   Whether this is true is especially significant if the work can be
linked
> >   without the Library, or if the work is itself a library. The threshold
> >   for this to be true is not precisely defined by law.
> >
> > If Apache is deemed a derivative work because of the above, then all of
> > Apache has to be LGPL'ed as per clauses that came before that
> > one.  Without a clear defitnition of what is a derivative work and what
> > isn't, I think this license is much too shaky.
>
> IIRC this is to prevent proprietary derivatives of an LGPL'd library. Like
> using the header files to create a binary compatible API. Not to prevent
> #include'ing header files.

I agree with Rasmus, the intent is not clear. Last I checked, IBM legal
thought the license was vague in this regard as well (that could be changing
though....). Why are we having this discussion? Apache uses pools and only
infrequently uses malloc/free, primarily (exclusively) during
startup/shutdown. But then again, maybe my head is in a box.

Bill