httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Memory Allocation in APR (WAS: local/remote address in conn_rec)
Date Fri, 22 Oct 1999 20:37:18 GMT
excuse me, but voting on this is crack.

> HOW TO ALLOCATE:
>
>     [X] APR allocates the memory
>           If You choose this one:
>           APR ALLOCATES MEMORY USING:
>               [ ] ap_palloc
>               [X] ap_malloc/ap_free or malloc/free
>
>     [ ] Apache passes pre-allocated memory to APR
>
> HOW TO CONTROL THE ALLOCATION
>
>     [ ] One pool per context
>     [ ] Multiple pools per context
>     [ ] Pool and non-pool allocation

you've forgotten an option:

 [X] it's malloc. you don't need a pool, a context, or anything.

design by commitee is so fun!  I can't wait until we make a mistake
right up there along the lines of ATM's 48-octet packets (which were
a compromise between a group who wanted 64-octet packets and another
group who wanted 32-octet packets... the end result is that all ATM gear
includes expensive division-by-3 circuitry).  :)

Dean