httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache loads config twice - why?
Date Thu, 21 Oct 1999 23:52:28 GMT
On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Graham Leggett wrote:
> tvaughan@aventail.com wrote:
>
> > I've been here before many o' time. Is the ldap library compiled with
> > "-fPIC"?
>
> I don't know (closed source Netscape grumble grumble), but updating the
> patches on the OS seemed to fix the problem.
>
> It still doesn't explain why Apache would want to load everything twice.
> Is it supposed to?

This should be added to the FAQ.  =)

Actually, I don't remember the exact reason, I think it's because Apache
needs to find out where its other included config files are first before
parsing them all, or something....

Then it was decided this was a good thing anyways, since if the server
doesn't survive an instant reload, it won't survive being restarted
anyways (for purposes of log rotation or whatever).

	Brian