httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tani Hosokawa <unkn...@riverstyx.net>
Subject Re: Apache 164 percent speed increase
Date Wed, 13 Oct 1999 05:50:27 GMT
On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 12, 1999 at 11:34:38PM -0600, Peter J. Cranstone wrote:
> > 10 transactions per second was your 'laugh test'.... 10 transactions per
> > second of a 10,495 byte  document over a dial up modem is IMPOSSIBLE. That's
> > 1,049,500 ( 1 MILLION plus ) BYTES PER SECOND!
>
> 10,495 * 10 = 104,950.

I assume he's talking about bits.  800kpbs is nice.  Still, here's
something interesting about this:  I've got a crappy little cable modem
here, and when I download music.htm.gz from the demo page I get it at
about 4k/sec, but when I download the uncompressed version I download at
35k/sec.  Nice that it's going to get to me quicker, but I bet that CPU is
churning at 100% to get it to me (much slower than normal).  I also doubt
that there's no way a server that's spending that much time on compression
is going to be able to compete against a normal Apache that's handling
real traffic (300+ requests/sec, 10k average request?).  OTOH, I'd love to
try it, and I'd be willing to use my traffic to test that theory...

---
tani hosokawa
river styx internet