httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/mpm/winnt winnt.c
Date Fri, 08 Oct 1999 01:49:19 GMT

On 7 Oct 1999, Ben Hyde wrote:

> Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org> writes:
>
> > hmm... i haven't looked closely... but the reason malloc() was used was
> > because this info (the open fds) has to survive a configuration reload.
> > i don't see how you achieve that...
>
> Yes, the point of listen's convolution is to to drop the listener
> Q's over restarts.

you mean to keep the listener fds over restarts...

> They are now allocated in process->pool (aka
> main's pglobal local) which never cleared until the entire process
> is destroyed.  Really no different than using malloc, but I'm
> allergic to malloc. - ben

so... if i do:

listen 1.1.1.1
start server
change to listen 2.2.2.2
restart server

there's memory wasted for the old 1.1.1.1 listener?

this is one of my points about malloc:  it has a use.  sure it's only a
tiny bit of memory in this case... but i deliberately chose malloc there
(actually 1.3 uses malloc similarly).

Dean