httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr APRDesign
Date Thu, 21 Oct 1999 11:22:05 GMT
> If a programmer tries to create a thread on an unthreaded system, the
> compile should fail. However, thread locks should still exist and be
> no-ops. Why? If mmap doesn't exist on your platform and you try to use
> it, you're hosed. But if thread locks don't exist because there are no
> threads, then your code will still work just fine.

HUH?!?!?!?  When was the last time you saw a non-threaded platform that
provided thread locks?  If we are going to not compile when a function is
not supported, then we should not compile when a function is not
supported.  I don't want to create a bunch of rules about when we return
APR_ENOTIMPL, and when we don't define the function.  It's really simple.
If the platform supports it, don't provide the function.  If the platform
doesn't support it (ie Windows) return APR_ENOTIMPL.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd