httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr APRDesign
Date Tue, 19 Oct 1999 18:37:19 GMT

I'm probably being incredibly dense here, so forgive me.  It's a pretty
stressful week for me.

Are you advocating failing at compile time, and having the feature macro?
Or, are you advocating the feature macro and returning APR_ENOTIMPL?
Or, are you advocating some mixture of the two options?

Sorry, I am having a hard time parsing your message.

Ryan

On 19 Oct 1999, Ben Hyde wrote:

> Two design patterns are getting confused here.  Managing optional
> features at runtime v.s. compile time.  If we know at compile time the
> functions of that feature should not exist.  If we don't know until
> run time (do to optional kernel modules, dynamicly loaded subsystems,
> binaries that run on variant OS versions, etc.)  then the spec of the
> function had better warn of that and returning APR_ENOTIMPL is fine.
> One typically needs both, and you need both feature macros at compile
> time and an analogous feature test routine for use at runtime.
>
>   - ben

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd