httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Change to Error logging routines.
Date Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:42:14 GMT

I noticed late last week, that we are using errno in a lot of our error
log messages.  This is not thread safe on most platforms, including
Windows.  To avoid this, I am in the middle of making a change to the
ap_log_error and ap_log_rerror calls.  Basically, we will have to pass a
status value down to these functions, and that value will be used in place
of errno.  This keeps our logs intelligable.  The only problem, is it
breaks backwards compatability with older modules.  I don't see anyway
around this.  This also solves the problem of APR functions not always
setting errno.  If I can determine from internal values that an error
condition can be returned, very often, I won't call the C RunTime function
being asked for.  For example, I can determine quickly if a file is valid
or not without needing the library to tell me so.

Thoughts or objections.  I would like to commit this ASAP.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd