httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Sv: MMAP support for APR
Date Sun, 17 Oct 1999 23:50:11 GMT

> We should look at what type of operations it will be used for, and then destill which
general API functions
> are needed. Whichever way you look upon it; The more call instructions for the CPU to
execute, the slower
> the code.

I think if you review the conversation, you will find that this API has
been well researched, and well thought out.  I think the initial problem
was that the initial message didn't spell out exactly what we were talking
about.  Jim thought we were talking about shared memory at first, and
David was talking about just mmap'ing files.

The point of this, is to allow ONE definition for mmapp'ed files, which
will work on any platform that supports them.  If the platform doesn't
support them, the APR functions will return APR_ENOTIMPL, and nothing will
be done, assuming Apache handles that case correctly.

I do not see APR implementing anything like MMAP on a platform that does
not support it natively.  Especially not in version 1.0.  The overriding
mantra of APR has been "Keep it simple" (well, as far as what we are
putting in).  Maybe in the future, we will look for ways to implement
MMAP'in on platforms that don't have it natively.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd