httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Guidance needed
Date Sat, 16 Oct 1999 21:55:11 GMT

The Apache 2.0 tree is progressing as quickly as possible.  If you want to
work with a tree that is stable, and is most likely going to compile and
run EVERY day, then you really need to work on 1.3.X.  The problem with
this tree, is that the 2.0 tree is substantially different from the 1.3.X
tree, and any work you do in 1.3.X will most likely not transfer over very
well.  The 2.0 tree compiles most days on Unix, but there aren't as many
Windows developers looking at that part of the tree, so it lags a bit
behind the other ports.

As far as who is cooridinating the effort, that isn't the way Apache tends
to work.  We are group of volunteers who do what they are interested on
in their own time.  Nobody steps up to coordinate the effort, until just
before we ship a release.  Then, the person who does step up, is only
responsible for getting that release out the door.

There is no one over-riding voice leading us in one direction.  There are
a group of voices, suggesting the correct direction to head.

I don't believe the source is as far behind as you do.  You happen to have
come in at a bad time, when I was trying to move around a lot of function
parameters, and that broke the code on platforms that I was unable to test
on.  Apache 2.0 is NOT production quality, and it is missing a lot of
features that 1.3 has already.

My own suggestion, is that if all you want is to learn the code, use 1.3.
If you want to help with the current code base, use 2.0

Ryan

On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, Henrik Vendelbo wrote:

> As I said a couple of days ago I would like to get to work on a configuration front end
module, but first I guess I'd better get to know the Apache source.

> I have NO CLUE though how far along the whole thing is. I've tried compiling for Win32.
It bugged out in quite a number of places, so I figure that there's quite a distance to go.
Should I forget about trying to compile the whole thing ?

> I'd like to get to work with something related to config & logging ? Is there a todo
list ? Who's coordinating ?

> Thoughts ?
>
> \Henrik

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com