httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: MMAP support for APR
Date Fri, 15 Oct 1999 11:33:33 GMT

I don't think we want to use the API's that David has brought up for
shared memory.  We have a starting place already for shared memory, we
just need to figure out how to make it REALLY portable, which is why APR
doesn't support shared memory.  Take a look at the shmem directory.

I think the mmap work is simply designed to map a file into a memory
region.

Ryan

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> David Reid wrote:
> >
> > How individual platforms implement the functions is up to them.  If they
> > don't have mmap but have something that can provide the functionality then
> > they simply have to write the code.
> >
> > Perhaps we should try and arrive at a definition of what we want to achieve
> > with the mmap code?
> >

> That's key, I think. A generic shared memory interface that does not
> "depend" on any specific mmap/shmget-type characteristics. Each
> implementation is different and using one as the "guide" immediately
> causes the other to be "left behind". Instead, we should focus on
> what we need and what we'll be using it for. In that case, we could
> use some of the ideas that Ralf came up with and adjust them to
> fit our needs.
> --
>    Jim Jagielski   [|]   jim@jaguNET.com   [|]   http://www.jaguNET.com/
>                 "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"