httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Apache 164 percent speed increase
Date Wed, 13 Oct 1999 17:41:21 GMT

> I've been watching this forum long enough to know what all of you
> think and I am perfectly willing to 'engage in conversation' on any
> level you choose... as long as it remains productive.

How has this conversation today been productive at all?

> Forgive me for being passionate about what I and others perceive
> to be problems that need to be addressed but last time I checked
> this was a 'public' forum for the improvement of a Web Server
> product. If showing how that product can achieve a 164 percent
> performance increase is not an attempt to improve that product
> then tell me what would be?

You have yet to show us a 164 percent improvement.  You have shown us
numbers that say you have a 164% improvement.  But I personally haven't
seen any code from you that leads me to believe this change is worthwhile
to put into Apache.  Am I wrong, or is this a development list?  I thought
we were here to discuss Apache, and ways to improve it.  Great.  I put my
code out there.  Take a look in the Apache-2.0 tree, and you can see what
I (among others) did to help Apache grow.  You can download it, and use it
(most days), and actually measure the performance improvement or loss.  I
don't know what you did.  You put in on-the-fly content compression.
Great, cool.  How did you do it?  And I don't want an overview, I would
like to see code.  Code that we can either use, or not use, based simply
on it's merits.  Until we see that code there is nothing more to say,
because we can't make an informed judgement about what your tool does.

> Agreed. Who said anything about a commercial offering?
> We use the word 'product' but that doesn't mean we are not
> familiar with GNU and NSPL ( No String Public License ).

What do either of those Licenses have to do with this project?  Apache
uses it's own License, it is BSD-ish in nature, and it is certainly
not GNU or NSPL.  Can we please at least pretend to stay on topic?

Ryan
Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd