httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject RE: Apache 164 percent speed increase
Date Wed, 13 Oct 1999 15:06:12 GMT

Maybe it's just me, but I am having a hard time figuring out where this
discussion is going now.  Peter, Are you going to contribute code to do
this?  It doesn't sound like it.  It sounds like you are touting your
solution, fine.  You're solution may work, it may not.  I don't know, and
to be honest, right now I don't care.  I'm not being mean, I just don't
have a reason to care at this moment in time, and I have other work to do.
:)  Even better, you are allowed to sell this solution, and we won't stop
you.

You originally asked for some modifications to ab.c, to make the output
make sense when the data was compressed.  This request was not followed by
code to make the chagnes.  Perhaps more importantly, at least some of the
Apache Group does not see a need for the changes.  As it happens, I agree
that the changes to ab are not necessary.  Ab is a tool.  I don't really
care how many pages per second I can serve.  I care how many bytes/second
I can serve, and ab can tell me that.

Can we please stop this discussion now?  We are talking in circles, one
person trying to persuade us that his approach is correct, and everybody
else saying it isn't.  What we have yet to see, is code that proves it one
way or the other.  Numbers don't mean much to me, because I can't
duplicate them.

Just one man's opinion.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com