httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Memory Hog
Date Sun, 10 Oct 1999 19:37:15 GMT

select is not more efficient that poll.  The current ap_poll when
implemented using select is more efficient than the one implemented using
poll.  That is a side-effect of what I was doing when I was coding it.  We
NEED both implementations, because there are platforms that don't support
select, or don't support it fully.  A good example of this, is BeOS, which
doesn't pay attention to any of the select sets other than the read one.

The performance of the poll based ap_poll is not tragic.  It is also not
unfixable.  There are ways to fix the performance af ap_pool when it uses
poll.  Nobody has done them yet.

Ryan

On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 10, 1999 at 02:24:46PM +0100, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > Funnily enough, if poll() is emulated with select() the implementation
> > is far more efficient.
>
> What was the purpose of poll() if select() is more efficient?
>
> --
> Manoj Kasichainula - manojk at io dot com - http://www.io.com/~manojk/
> "Life is like an analogy." - Aaron Allston

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd