httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Memory Hog
Date Sun, 10 Oct 1999 19:34:24 GMT

Because performance wasn't occupying even 1% of my brain when writing APR.
As I have expressed multiple times since starting APR, I write code by
getting it working, and when I have time I go back and improve
performance.  I am expecting performance to be an issue for me in a few
days/weeks.  If somebody else wants to go through APR looking for
performance improvements, be my guest.

Ryan

On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Ryan Bloom wrote:
> >
> > > Something needs to be done. I don't really understand why the
> > > ap_pollset_t isn't just a struct pollfd (or a thin wrapper around one).
> > > And why translate between POLLIN and APR_POLLIN et al. instead of just
> > > making them the same? Also, having to scan the whole pollset to find a
> > > particular socket is dreadful (especially since this is going to be used
> > > in a scan through all sockets in the main loop, making it an O(n^2)
> > > process).
> >
> > Because we can't just use POLLIN.  On systems that don't have poll, POLLIN
> > isn't defined.
>
> I was aware of that. What I meant was why not make APR_POLLIN == POLLIN
> when POLLIN is defined?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ben.
>
> --