httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Thread safe functions in APR.
Date Wed, 06 Oct 1999 07:30:12 GMT

Good point.  Sorry, not thinking things through completely.  :(  I don't
like the idea of creating that many levels of indirection if we can avoid
it.  It just feels like we are layering functions on top of functions, and
I am afraid that soon we will start to see a significant performance loss
because of it.  Although, I do have to admit that I can't see another way
around this one right now.

I'll fix this tomorrow.  I'm trying to get out of the office tonight.
It's already 3:00, and I would kind of like to get to bed.

Ryan

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> >#ifdef HAVE_GMTIME_R
> >#define GMTIME_R(x, y) gmtime_r(x, y)
> >#else
> >#define GMTIME_R(x, y) memcpy(y, gmtime(x), sizeof(y))
> >#endif
>
> We can't use sizeof(y) unless we know that y is a struct and not a pointer,
> which is not the case in the patch committed.  It is safer to define an
> ap_gmtime with a single interface, and just change the implementation based
> on whether gmtime_r is available.
>
> ....Roy

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd