httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Non-threadsafe functions used in threads? (1.3, 2.0)
Date Wed, 06 Oct 1999 04:34:06 GMT

I know how to fix this, and I am about to fix them all.  With any luck,
APR will be completely thread-safe by morning.  Please don't ask me to
explain tonight.  I have been thinking about this since six o'clock, and I
won't be able to do anything until I get it coded.  There will be
something committed to at least begin solving this problem ASAP.

Ryan

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 09:12:45AM +0200, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> > So I personally would ignore _POSIX_REENTRANT_FUNCTIONS...
>
> Sounds good to me.
>
> Now, what do we do about the case where _POSIX_THREAD_SAFE_FUNCTIONS
> isn't defined. The only solution I can think of is to add a lock on
> every single type that uses an "evil" function. I did this for
> ap_readdir in APR (untested, patch attached) to see what it would be
> like, and it looks ugly. And Ryan can't stand it. :) Any other ideas?
> The only other possibility I can think of is to throw up our hands and
> say that platforms without these functions won't be threaded in
> Apache. And that would suck.
>
> --
> Manoj Kasichainula - manojk at io dot com - http://www.io.com/~manojk/

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com