httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: XML configuration revisited
Date Sat, 16 Oct 1999 14:15:46 GMT
On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Ben Laurie wrote:

> I'm not demanding a DTD. I'm saying that it should be possible to
> validate the configuration file, without actually firing up Apache. This
> also means that tools should be able to say what is legal where, on the
> fly. A DTD is far too restrictive to do this, as I've said several times.

During the past weeks we've been translating just the current apache doc's
into XML in a modular fashion. We found that with a little care you can
easily encode enough information in for example this XML to also validate
the syntax; generate appropriate error replies as well as staying close to
actually being the documentation itself. So in that case you get the best
of both worlds.

Looking at apache today, things where not all that rosey though, simple
things such as 'CacheNegotiatedDocs' which has neither a yes/no but is
simply present or not; is just one of the many, many exceptions to the
simple TAKEONE one would expect on first sight. Not to mention
repeatability semantics today;  some directives can be stacked, others
require all to be present in a single line.

Dw