httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Spidaman The Defenestrator <spida...@salon.com>
Subject RE: Apache license and GZIP
Date Thu, 14 Oct 1999 22:21:25 GMT
Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
> area. Two files means increased disk storage and then how do you link to
> them. One for the older browsers and one for the newer browsers or do you
> build all the smarts into a mod_something. The final problem is for the

The only thing useful I've gained from this discssion is the need to give
mod_negotiation a EncodingPriority directive or something.  If I have both

-rw-r--r--   1 zoop  meat  289812 Aug 12 15:08 manual_Reference.html
-rw-r--r--   1 zoop  meat   70672 Oct 14 15:01 manual_Reference.html.gz

...a request for /path/to/manual_Reference.html to serve the 289812 byte
file, even though my browser sends the Accept-Encoding header.  If I
remove the 289812 byte file, the gzipped version is delivered but then
those that don't Accept-Encoding will get a 404.  Maybe it would be
desirable to tell mod_negotiation to prefer the gzipped version even with
the presence of the canonically named item with an EncodingPriority
instruction or some such. The work around in the meantime is just to give
the non-compressed version a bogus encoding scheme indicated in the
filename a la

-rw-r--r--   1 zoop  meat  289812 Aug 12 15:08 manual_Reference.html.non
-rw-r--r--   1 zoop  meat   70672 Oct 14 15:01 manual_Reference.html.gz

-Ian

--
Salon Internet 				http://www.salon.com/
  HTTP mechanic, Perl diver, Mebwaster, Some of the above