httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: Apache 164 percent speed increase
Date Wed, 13 Oct 1999 15:06:18 GMT
On Wed, 13 Oct 1999 TOKILEY@aol.com wrote:

> Hi Marc...
> Kevin kiley here...
>
> > Marc writes...
> >  Erm... what that command line says is that you want to connect to
> >  210.210.2.40, port 3128, and get the document called
> >  "/http://www.yahoo.com".  That is what the docs say, that is what a URL
> >  is.
>
> I don't know how much you know about proxy servers but can
> you tell me in what near or distant universe a URL that looks
> like this...
>
> /http://www.yahoo.com
>
> Would NOT be obviously meant as a base level URL request
> for a proxy server?

Erm... no.  Grab a clue.  A request to a proxy server has to start with a
scheme.  "/http" is not a valid scheme that says "make a http request".

Just because you think it looks somewhat similar doesn't mean that ab
should automatically mangle it into what you think someone means.  That
sort of magic is very bad.

> Just in case you haven't used UNIX lately this is what happens
> if you try to actually have a directory called http://www.yahoo.com...
>
> # mkdir http://www.yahoo.com
> mkdir: cannot make directory `http://www.yahoo.com': No such file or directory
> #

That's the first time I've heard that one.  You can't do "mkdir foo" in
Unix on something, therefore it isn't a valid URL?  Woah.

Regardless of if it is a valid URL or not, there is no justification for
magically deciding "hey, that is close to a proxy request" and mangling
the URL to make it be one.