httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: Microsoft marketing hype
Date Wed, 13 Oct 1999 15:54:19 GMT
On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Mark J Cox wrote:

> > For e-commerce workloads using secure sockets (SSL), recent PC
> > Magazine tests
> > (http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/stories/reviews/0,6755,402311-2,00.html)
> > showed Windows NT 4.0 with Internet Information Server 4.0 delivers
> > approximately five times the performance provided by Linux and
> > Stronghold.
>
> You have to look close to see they they cunningly compared Stronghold
> using CGI against IIS using ISAPI to get those amazing claims.  They
> didn't want to test Stronghold with APAPI or mod_php or something.

Right; the proper conclusion is that, in their tests, Stronghold on Linux
and IIS gave almost identical performances for SSL.

But the big question is just what sort of bribe does it take to get the
guys at ZD to actually include an Apache module in their tests?

I have tried asking them, response was "well, we can't change anything in
this version since it is already set but we will look into it for the next
one..."

I have tried giving them an Apache module that does exactly what their
ISAPI, NSAPI, etc. modules do, under a license that let them do whatever
they want with it, including claim they wrote it.

Obviously, the "next version" (which is now the current version...) of
their webbench still doesn't include an Apache module.  It does, though,
add a "WebStar API plug-in module".  You tell me, which is more popular;
WebStar or Apache?

Sigh.  Guess WebStar was smart enough to send over a case of beer or
something.