httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject RE: Apache license and GZIP
Date Thu, 14 Oct 1999 22:45:15 GMT

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Spidaman The Defenestrator wrote:

> Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
> > area. Two files means increased disk storage and then how do you link to
> > them. One for the older browsers and one for the newer browsers or do you
> > build all the smarts into a mod_something. The final problem is for the
>
> The only thing useful I've gained from this discssion is the need to give
> mod_negotiation a EncodingPriority directive or something.  If I have both
>
> -rw-r--r--   1 zoop  meat  289812 Aug 12 15:08 manual_Reference.html
> -rw-r--r--   1 zoop  meat   70672 Oct 14 15:01 manual_Reference.html.gz

This is a mistake I made as well, as you do below, with the fake entry;
you should explictly label them all, more like:

	manual.en.latin1.html
	manual.en.utf8.html
	manual.en.latin1.html.gz
	manual.en.utf8.html.gz
	manual.nl.latin1.html
	manual.nl.utf8.html
	manual.nl.latin1.html.gz
	manual.nl.utf8.html.gz
	manual.gr.latin2.html
	manual.gr.utf8.html
	manual.en.pdf
	manual.nl.pdf
	manual.gr.pdf
	manual.en.pdf.gz
	manual.nl.pdf.gz
	manual.gr.pdf.gz

And not make the mistake I keep making to name one 'shorter'. Because
essentially that shorter name 'lack's information; which you by definition
cannot add with a default. As the default does not add information to the
file but to all possible files.

The above by the way needs a 'hack'. You set the content mime type to the
charset as well; i.e.

	text/html;charset=iso-8....

Which happens to work :-)

So perhaps the REAL fix is to just sit down for a day or two and rewrite
the mod_negotiation doc's; make a good howto and perhaps solve the charset
stuff as well.

Dw