httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter J. Cranstone" <Cranst...@worldnet.att.net>
Subject RE: Apache 164 percent speed increase
Date Wed, 13 Oct 1999 23:42:19 GMT
It's not a patch... it's a separate program. Apache was never designed with
compression in mind, forking and compression do not make for good
companions, but you already know this.

As for your other comment. I am simply showing you and your fellow Apache
users that someone else has achieved a significant performance improvement
with Apache. Just like the gentleman who uploaded the 10X improvements a
while back.

As I've said before if you can show stats which outperform us then great,
until then our Apache server is looking significantly faster than a standard
server and even faster than your competitor Zeus. Like it or not,
compressing a verbose language like HTML and XML makes sense only if you can
show acceptable performance characteristics. We've done that. No turning
back now, the exponential growth of the web demands efficient software, if
you don't do it someone else will.

This is not a product announcement. The application works, the stats bear
out the improvements and it runs with Apache and for the time being it is
not available in stores. When we make a product announcement it will not be
on this forum.

Regards,

Peter J. Cranstone
Cranstone@RemoteCommunications.com