httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter J. Cranstone" <Cranst...@worldnet.att.net>
Subject RE: Apache 164 percent speed increase
Date Wed, 13 Oct 1999 19:00:22 GMT
Brian....

Two sycophants... I'm going to follow your advice, " I'm not going to play".

Ok here's the scoop.

We've figured out how to improve the performance of your (the Apache group)
Apache web server. We use your own ab benchmarks to prove out point. We
detail the equipment we used to complete the test. We follow all applicable
RFC's and are totally 100% HTTP 1.x compliant.

That's it. Plain and simple. I don't really care what people think of us, I
care about what people think of our code. It either works or it doesn't
work. We are not offering our product on this forum we are showing people
what we have achieved.

I've followed this forum for over a year now. I've seen language that school
children aren't allowed to use, I've seen all kinds of things which I think
should take place elsewhere. But you know what, every so often I learn
something useful and for that I am grateful. People know my email address,
our web site is open, I welcome comments, but if this is a meeting of peers,
then I expect some respect for a viable solution. I welcome a test from some
one else. Our stats are up, does anyone care about speed or bandwidth on
this forum?

Bottom line. Apache runs much faster and is more efficient with compression
technology. If you don't care about this say so. But everyday I see a new
statistic which talks about dwindling market share, about how Zeus and Boa
out perform Apache and how MS is making inroads. I would have thought people
would welcome a simple solution which provides an speed improvement to an
Apache server.

We've now set the benchmark for real time on the fly compression, your
welcome to ignore it... but it has been set.
One final point. You indicate that this forum is not a forum for promotion
of proprietary commercial offerings. This message just appeared. "Hi, IBM
has created a complete web-based configuration tool for our Apache-based
server, the IBM HTTP Server. It's free and its available at ...ibm.com...
Our Apache-based server, which is now called the IBM HTTP server... what is
this... Free commercial offering based on your hard work on Apache. Trust me
the product is free but support is another matter.

Regards,

Peter J. Cranstone
Cranstone@RemoteCommunications.com
http://www.remotecommunications.com