httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr APRDesign
Date Tue, 19 Oct 1999 18:34:09 GMT

Two design patterns are getting confused here.  Managing optional
features at runtime v.s. compile time.  If we know at compile time the
functions of that feature should not exist.  If we don't know until
run time (do to optional kernel modules, dynamicly loaded subsystems,
binaries that run on variant OS versions, etc.)  then the spec of the
function had better warn of that and returning APR_ENOTIMPL is fine.
One typically needs both, and you need both feature macros at compile
time and an analogous feature test routine for use at runtime.

  - ben