httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr APRDesign
Date Wed, 20 Oct 1999 13:40:24 GMT

Ryan Bloom <rbb@raleigh.ibm.com> writes:

> I'm probably being incredibly dense here, so forgive me.  It's a pretty
> stressful week for me.

My sympathy.

> Are you advocating failing at compile time, and having the feature macro?
> Or, are you advocating the feature macro and returning APR_ENOTIMPL?
> Or, are you advocating some mixture of the two options?

First I'm advocating taking the concept of "feature" and having it both
at runtime and compile time.  At compile time the feature macro is
used to determine if the feature is available, and at runtime a new
routine:

   int ap_feature_available(const char *feature_name);

Which be used to determine if any of the feature's N routines are
usable.  Routines can return APR_ENOTIMPL, but only if the feature
they are part of is not available.

Secondly I agree with others that if a feature is known to be
unimplementible on the platform/configuration the user is compiling
for there it should be signaled at compile time and the functions and
data types of that feature should not exist.

 - ben

> Sorry, I am having a hard time parsing your message.

Nothing exceptional about that :-).

 - ben