httpd-dev mailing list archives

From tvaug...@aventail.com
Subject Re: Apache loads config twice - why?
Date Fri, 22 Oct 1999 15:49:21 GMT
Ben Hyde <bhyde@pobox.com> writes:

> Brian Behlendorf <brian@apache.org> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Graham Leggett wrote:
> > > tvaughan@aventail.com wrote:
> > > It still doesn't explain why Apache would want to load everything twice.
> > > Is it supposed to?
> >
> > This should be added to the FAQ.  =)
> >
> > Actually, I don't remember the exact reason, I think it's because Apache
> > needs to find out where its other included config files are first before
> > parsing them all, or something....
> >
> > Then it was decided this was a good thing anyways, since if the server
> > doesn't survive an instant reload, it won't survive being restarted
> > anyways (for purposes of log rotation or whatever).
> >
> > 	Brian
>
> One reason: it doesn't know where to write the log files (which can
> include comments on the configuration) until it has read the
> configuration.    - ben

Why not output these comments to stderr? Could perhaps ap_log_xxx output to
stderr just up until apache detaches itself from the terminal, and then the
log files are opened, and then ap_log_xxx outputs to the log files?

This would seem to make for a nice separation of "start-up" vs. "run-time"
messages.

-Tom

--
Tom Vaughan <tvaughan at aventail dot com>