httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Marr <gr...@alum.wpi.edu>
Subject RE: C Compiler for NT
Date Thu, 14 Oct 1999 21:48:57 GMT

> > In case a cheap option (let's say #1) is enough, is there anything
> > I may miss by choosing it?  A debugger (Nice to Have, but not
> > critical)?  Support for creation of DLLs?  "nmake" availability?
>
>The debugger comes with the compiler/IDE. I'm not sure of the
>difference between the
>Standard and the Pro versions,

Mainly that the Pro version's compiler does optimization.

> > In some docs Visual 5.0 is mentioned. Is 6.0 good too?  (good for
> > building Apache, of course; I know that both versions are bad ;-)
>
>I believe that the ordinals in the MFC libraries changed between 5.0
>and 6.0 and thus
>if you make ANY DLL with 6.0, you have to make EVERYTHING with 6.0.
>This is what
>I'm told about a project I'm involved with at work and thus we
>cannot upgrade to 6.0

That's only true for the debug versions of the MFC DLLs.  When the
6.0 debug dlls are installed on your system, you can't run debug
versions built with 5.0, and vice versa.  The release versions are
compatible, however.

--
Greg Marr
gregm@alum.wpi.edu